This timeline highlights only a few
events in the life of Mt. Tabor
1885 - Group meets and
starts a Sunday school in the town of Brookland later
named New Brookland, then West Columbia. From this Sunday
school emerges an arrangement to have visiting pastors
Pastor E. L. Lybrand and Pastor J. A. Cromer.
1886 - Group organizes
itself into a congregation - Mt. Tabor Lutheran Church,
the first congregation in town. The church antedates the
town’s charter. It calls Pastor E. L. Lybrand as
its first pastor.
1897 - The first church
building is built. It is the first church building in
1920s - Mt. Tabor joins
the South Carolina Synod in 1922. Mt. Tabor enters a period
of fast-paced growth in numerous programs and membership
that continues into the decade of the 40s.
1930s - 50th anniversary
celebration. Parsonage added. Sunday school grows and
is recognized as the future of the church. A building
for more Sunday school classes and fellowship is built.
1940s - Mt. Tabor continues
to experience significant growth during this decade developing
plans for facilities at a new site at 1000 B Avenue. Congregation
gathers for the first day of worship in the new sanctuary
on April 3, 1949 with a new organ donated by the Ladies
1950s - Growth of Sunday
School, choirs, youth and other programs continues and
additional rooms are built for a rapidly expanding Sunday
school. A new parsonage is built.
1960s - For a brief time,
Mt. Tabor’s pastor conducts 5 days of devotions
in a local television channel. Educational unit is built
and designated the E. L. Lybrand Memorial Building to
honor Pastor Lybrand.
1970s - First associate
pastor & full time music ministers added. Focus on youth
programs & Christian Education. Expansion of the physical
complex continues with construction of a new building
in1979 which currently serves as the administrative unit
with its office and a conference room.
1980s - 100th anniversary
celebration with time capsule buried in the church yard
on May 20, 1986. It is to be opened in 2036 during the
congregation’s 150th anniversary. New & innovative
ways are explored and implemented to meet this change
with renewed focus on children & youth programs. There
is a dynamic Sunshine Club for senior members.
1990s - Capital Improvement
Campaign raises $1.4 million for major renovations of
several buildings with painting and re-carpeting of the
Sanctuary and major renovation and expansion of the pipe
organ by Randal Dyer & Associates. Intentional programming
for children and youth, such as Confirmation Camp at Lutheridge,
Music & Drama Camps, and Sing & Celebrate continues.
2000s - Music and youth
programs continue to grow. Piano and chairs donated for
the choir loft. Extensive waterproofing, plaster repair
& kitchen remodeling. Mt. Tabor Park is built. Mt. Tabor
returns to television, when its 2009 Christmas Eve service
is aired on a local television channel. Ladies Aid completes
a project in 2009 to renovate and furnish a room as a
2010s - A house that served
as the church office in the past is designated for use
for young adults in their early 20s thru late 30s.